Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Very Serious Dangers of Baby Oil (Yes, Really!)

It smells nice and it's soothing for baby. But who would think such an old-time product, a nursery staple, could injure and kill?

Baby oil, along with other common household oils for massage, hair, and bath, essential oils, eucalyptus and camphor oils, are responsible for a disturbingly large amount of reported ingestion accidents to young children.

Toxicologist Dr Naren Gunja from NSW Poisons Information Center at Westmead Hospital in Australia says most parents don't realize the danger.

"Once the child has ingested it depending on how much they ingest then it could be too late. Over a period of time, the child can die," says Dr Gunja.

"It is a gradual process that can take several days, two weeks to die."

Mums Gabby and Soraya say the drama started when their kids, Natalia, 4, and Gabriel, 3, were playing together. They discovered the two splashing baby oil over them and they'd drunk some.
Soon, both kids were having difficulty breathing. Natalia was also vomiting, Daniel had a rash. An ambulance rushed them to hospital - the doctors' warnings were grim.

"He listened to his lungs for quite a while and he said 'he looks ok' and - this was just horrible - he said 'look, there's nothing we can do, this is something that if your child has done this, and it's in his lungs there is nothing that we can do'," says Soraya.

When Gabby and Soraya checked the internet for accidents and side-effects they discovered the horrors - in the US, 20 kids a year die from breathing in household oils, 5 deaths are from baby oil. In total, around 80,000 household oil ingestion accidents are reported to the US Poisons Center yearly.
"The death the child goes through is absolutely horrific, the latest boy to die in America was Jayden Bryson, 18 months old, it took him 28 days to die, he suffocated to death," explains Soraya.

Why so toxic? Look at the ingredients and you see baby oil, sunscreen oil, bath, body and massage oils, make-up removers, nail enamel dryers, eucalyptus, camphor and clove oils - are all made from mineral oil, a petroleum ingredient from crude oil.

Mineral oils contain hydrocarbons, a real danger to the stomach and especially the lungs - which can stop working.

"A mouthful of baby oil ingested by a child is enough to cause the child to vomit and if they breath that into their lungs that is enough to cause lung inflammation . . . .  if enough of that happens it could lead to death," says Dr Gunja.

Mineral oils are also used for cleaning, as industrial and mechanical lubricants, in cosmetics and even pesticides. And, apart from they've been blamed for a range of health problems - allegedly acne, premature aging of skin, and other skin disorders, impeding normal cell development and possibly causing vitamin deficiency.

Luckily, Gabriel and Natalia survived their ordeal. Seven years ago the US Consumer Product Safety Commission made child-resistant packaging mandatory for oily liquids containing hydrocarbons - like baby oils, bath, body, hair and massage oils, and sunscreens. So, Johnson and Johnson Baby Oil sold in America has the compulsory child-proof lid. Why not in Australia?

When contacted by the Australian news show, Today Tonight, Johnson and Johnson would not appear on camera.  J&Js email to the show stated that their Baby Oil has been sold in Australia for 48 years and that these reports of accidents were the first they'd received of a potentially serious health issue. Yet, they must be aware it was the accidents and deaths in America that forced them to put child-resistant caps on their oil there.
Johnson & Johnson is, after 48 years, going to change to child resistant caps on all its baby oil products in Australia and worldwide.

Further information:

Hydrocarbons are compounds that are also present in many household products like:

          •  Gasoline          •  Kerosene
          •  Lamp oil
          •  Paint thinner
          •  Furniture polish
          •  Lighter fluid
          •  Lubricating oils
          •  Solvents

  If a hydrocarbon gets on your skin, wash well with soap and water; hydrocarbons can cause   burns if left on the skin.

If you swallow a hydrocarbon, wipe out your mouth; hydrocarbons can be an irritant to the stomach, causing nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Do not induce vomiting or give large amounts of fluid.
Call the poison center right away for specific recommendations if you come in contact with a hydrocarbon.

If your child chokes on a hydrocarbon, it can be drawn into the lungs, causing a chemical pneumonia that can be potentially life threatening.

Click here to link to our inhalants page for more information about hydrocarbons and inhalant abuse.

No comments: