Thursday, August 8, 2013
Top 20 Places to Take Kids in the Houston Area (2013)
1. Children’s Museum of Houston: Oh, the wonders of a Children’s Museum! Their Thursday Free Family Nights, Family Adventures, and special educator membership make it affordable for all. Special events allow everyone to participate, including: MLK Kids Peace Rally, Sensory-Friendly Events, Young Inventors Showcase and Family Literacy Program.
2. Houston Zoo: One of Texas’ best zoos is right here in Houston.& Get your animal groove on
3. 7-Acre Wood: Come play in a 7 1/2 acre old-fashioned Family Fun Park! Visit the petting zoo, mini golf course, western play town, play fort, huge playground, gigantic sandbox, zip line, sand volleyball, horseshoes and much more. Healthy family fun that kids love!
4. Oil Ranch: 56 Acres of fun and education. Petting zoo, Train, Hayride, Miniature Golf, Pony Rides, 5 Playgrounds, Sports Fields, Basketball Court, and Paintball. 30 miles Northwest of Houston. Open Thursday-Friday 10am-3PM & Saturday 10am-5pm Spend the whole day petting animals, playing at the pool, or mining for gemstones with your family and friends. .
5. P-6 Farms - Montgomery: P-6 Farms is an actual working farm in Montgomery, Texas, specializing in cattle, hay, farm fresh produce, and our annual fall festival. Come "get lost" in 30 acres of Texas Sized Family Fun!
6. Brazos Bend State Park: 5,000-acre gem 40 miles from downtown Houston, offers a variety of activities for every age: biking, fishing, hiking, birding, camping, star-gazing, and opportunities to learn about Texas’ bountiful natural history via free programs and guided hikes.
7. Great Play: Great Play of Sugarland and Great Play of Cypress make it fun for kids ages 6 months to 12 years old to develop motor skills, sports skills, fitness and coordination in their Interactive Arena. Award winning birthday parties too!
8. Crocodile Encounter: Follow the activities of Houston's largest wildlife show and find out what it's really like to live and work with the nations largest group of Nile crocodiles.
9. Houston Museum of Natural Science: Explore the far reaches of outer space, roam with the dinosaurs, wander through Africa's Serengeti, and marvel at the world's rarest and most beautiful minerals. Discover all this and much more at one of the nation's most heavily attended museums.
10. My Gym: My Gym has two local locations in the Houston Area: My Gym of Katy and My Gym of The Woodlands. Their program and facility were devised to help children 6 weeks thru 13 years of age develop physically, cognitively and emotionally.
11. Madam Newton Einstein Science Academy for Kids: Madam Newton Einstein Science Academy for Kids is a 3000 sq ft. hands-on science facility. Our goal is to bring hands-on, fun, creative and out of the box experiences to children between the ages of 4 -14 in an effort to create a lifelong curiosity.
12. The Little Gym: The Little Gym is the worldʼs premier experiential learning and physical development center for kids ages four months through 12 years. The Little Gym of Katy and The Little Gym of Houston - Bellaire provide classes, camps, parents nights out, and birthday parties for the Houston area.
13. UpStage Theatre: UpStage Theatre is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization and group of talented volunteers dedicated to providing the highest quality, yet affordable and family friendly theatrical experience for both the young and the young at heart.
14. The Woodlands Children's Museum: Creating opportunities that educate, empower, and
15. Houston Center for Contemporary Craft: HCCC advances education about the process, product and history of craft. Visitors view innovative exhibitions, talk with artists-in-residence, create their own craft objects in workshops, and shop for one-of-a-kind gifts in the Asher Gallery.
16. Downtown Aquarium: That big Ferris wheel enticing you from I-45 and I-10 invites you to experience all the Downtown Aquarium has to offer. Amusement rides and carnival games thrill alongside aquarium adventures and hands-on encounters with stingrays, crabs, and other invertebrates. Sharing much more than an underwater voyage, the Aquarium boasts incredible rare white tigers which you can experience on your own or during a Sea Safari Camp, a Wild Dreams Overnight, or an Aquarium Birthday Party.
17. Sugar Land Skeeters Baseball: The Sugar Land Skeeters, led by Manager and former Major League All-Star Gary Gaetti, play at Constellation Field in Sugar Land, Texas. They are the biggest little minor league professional baseball club in America!
18. Kemah Boardwalk: Getting an all-day pass for the rides and amusements is your best bet at Kemah. There is so much to do and see, your kids will beg to keep going. Between the shops, restaurants, aquarium, boat rides, train rides, and roller coasters you'll be wildly entertained. Add to that special events like the Crawfish & Zydeco Festival, Rock the Dock summer concerts, Miss Kemah Pageant, car shows, Fireworks Fridays, Boo on the Boardwalk and Kid Krazy Mondays, and you'll want to return again and again.
Moody Gardens: The iconic three pyramids are just the tip of the iceberg at Moody Gardens. The Rainforest Pyramid®, the Aquarium Pyramid®, and the hands-on discovery museum are treasures. Add to that the 3D and 4D Theaters, Colonel Paddlewheel Boat, Palm Beach and the annual Festival of Lights, you’ve got a multi-day destination that kids of all ages will enjoy.
20. Discovery Green: Variety is the best word to describe Discovery Green. From fountains, gardens, and play areas, to classes, workshops, art, and reading places the versatility of the space is phenomenal. Not to mention the festivals, signature events, and ice skating. Much of the activities are FREE, and many more are very reasonably priced. They even welcome your dog!
exploring animal habitats, 4D Experiences, giraffe feedings, Naturally Wild Swap Shop (where you can bring in your found treasures), and Meet the Keeper talks/encounters/feedings every half hour. Their Water Play Park, Sneak Peek tours, Zoo Crew experiences, and Vet for a Day programs provide fun for toddlers to teens.